I confess. I like to get a mailbox full of eye-candy catalogs. I really do. I am the queen of folding down the corners of pages with all the things I would love to have. Reality is, I only rarely actually order any of these items. I basically use them for ideas. I am much too frugal and would prefer to find something similar at a more reasonable price. Most of you know that I love the thrill of the hunt - TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, Big Lots, and yes, it's true, Goodwill (especially the one in Tarrytown) - these are the places I love to shop. You never know what you might find - it's a grand treasure hunt where you don't know what the treasure will be at the end. And sometimes, there is no treasure. But occasionally the payoff is so great! Just ask to see my $7.99 brand new BCBG shoes from the aforementioned Goodwill.
But i digress. Back to the catalogs. I really only want to receive a handful of the catalogs that end up in my mailbox. The rest go straight into the recycling bin - Office Max, Dell Computer, Walgreen's, Sharper Image, etc etc. So I came across a blog, Diary of a Domestic Animal, with a list of web addresses where you can opt out of not only catalogs you don't want, but credit card offers, and non-profit solicitations (think Sierra Club, American Lung Association, etc.). I have spent the last hour filling out the info. Some of them you have to print out and mail in using snail mail, and one of them costs $1. But I figure that time is well worth the reduced junk in my mailbox. Let me know if you know of other sites to get rid of the junk mail.
http://www.abacusoptout.com/
http://www.optoutprescreen.com/
http://www.catalogchoice.org/
http://www.dmachoice.org/consumerassistance.php
and to opt out of many circulars: call 1-888-5OPTOUT
Just FYI, for the catalog choice site, it helps to have the numbers off of the most recent mailing label on the catalog you no longer want to receive. So for a short while, save up the pile of catalogs you want gone, and then go to the site and remove those all at once.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Moni,
This is my trick for not receiving catalogs -- move frequently!
Beebah
Post a Comment